The following is a list of things I’ve seen authors achieve through their own interpersonal network. (nb: excludes social media which is why i’m not using the phrase social network).
- Get 5 offers from publishers to read a book that was still being drafted.
- Get an invitation to speak to a school group.
- Get a spot talking at a bookshop to their bookclub.
- Get their books into libraries.
- Meet the editor who made their work great.
- Get a publishing contract with a one of the bigger Small Press.
- Get someone to sell their books on their behalf at various markets.
- Meet a great cover designer.
- Meet more famous authors and gain endorsements from them.
- Make new friends.
See my post on how to network for how you can achieve some of these benefits.